Monday 21 January 2013

How are you educating yourself?

In my 344 questions books, one of the pages is based around how you educate yourself! I'm now a teacher so this is probably a question I should ask myself more frequently.

I went through a three tier school system which is unusual for most people. I attended first school from the ages of 4 to 9. I absolutely loved this school, it really helped me become the person I am today. I had one of the best teachers in the world who never pushed me too far and definitely nurtured me into the teacher I am today! My top memory from her is her hatching chicks in an incubator which we then had in our classroom!

Following this I attended a middle school from the ages of 9 to 13. It's was at the same school that my parents and my grandparents both attended. I don't remember a huge amount from my early years there, just that it was a happy time. When I was in my final year there, I became head girl and was immensely proud of this although it didn't mean I did a lot. Come final prize giving day at the end of year 8, I received a high number of awards so I was clearly working well!

High school becomes a bit of a mix of emotion for me. I'm not the skinniest of people and while that had never been a 'problem' in the past, it became something I was increasingly aware of as I went through school. Something which sticks in my mind is on an activity week having a full day of PE so just leaving my shorts on over lunch and having someone on the outskirts of my group of friends comment on my legs and the fact they were not like sticks. What a lovely feeling that was. I did acquire good friends there and I certainly wasn't lacking friends but that clearly had an impact for me to remember it 9 years later.

I then stayed on at high school and went to 6th form there rather than college. I enjoyed this but definitely cold have worked harder. It did however enable me to go on to study Sociology at university.

I'm the first person in my family to go to university so it was a BIG deal. My parents couldn't afford to pay for my university education with fees alone being over £3000 each year. I remained at home so didn't have to pay rent or board during this time so I managed on loans and grants. I didn't go into my overdraft at this time which is something I am proud of. It means that while I have student debt, I don't have credit cards or an overdraft to pay off. I don't think I budgeted particularly well but I didn't go out drinking as I really don't like that!

While at uni, I chose to do modules which appealed to me rather than being set subjects. From this I studied disability, sexuality, consumerism, identity and wrote my dissertation on the subject of love. I didn't choose my lecturers as such, I just picked topics I liked and then went with it!

I did we'll in my undergrad and then went on to study a PGCE. I loved this and although it was hard, I am now in a career that I love being the one who gives the education. I'm teaching a range of subjects and sincerely hope that I am making an impact and changing the way kids think.

Education matters and honestly? School years are some of the best of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment